Opened in July 2000, this modern building sympathetically incorporates elements of the site’s industrial heritage.
The site on which the Brolga Theatre stands has a history dating back to November 1881. Its story, however, began in 1865 when Scotsmen Andrew Wilson, James Bartholomew and Robert Hart formed a sawmilling company on the banks of the Mary River at Granville, a short distance downstream.
Two major disasters caused the timber mill to relocate to the site which is now home for the Brolga Theatre. Devastating floods covered the mill in February 1875 and claimed the life of James Bartholomew, and in 1881 it was totally destroyed by fire. Just over 50 years later it was destroyed by fire again. It was rebuilt on both occasions. Wilson Hart & Co Sawmill ceased operation in 1986 and the site was left vacant until the Brolga Theatre and Convention Centre was built.
The dream for a modern entertainment venue for the region started in 1989, around the same time performers were bypassing Maryborough due to poor acoustics at City Hall.
Following a huge community fundraising effort of $1million and with contributions from Council and the State and Federal Governments, a further $10 million dollars was raised to construct the theatre.
The external design of the Brolga Theatre building is simple, yet bold. It is conceived in the tradition of the large sheds which characterise Maryborough’s industrial heritage. A timber theme is reflected throughout the design. Timbers on the stairs and on the Foyer’s striking bar face speak of Maryborough’s timber heritage.