THE CENTRE was originally a branch of the Bank of New South Wales. Many banking
institutes established premises in Maryborough during the 1860s–70s when the town flourished as the result of the discovery of gold in Gympie in 1867. The first Bank of New South Wales branch opened in a portion of the Custom House Hotel
on the opposite corner in 1868. It then moved into a purpose-built single storey building set back from the corner of this current site.
As Maryborough expanded rapidly, a new and more impressive branch of the Bank of New South Wales was built in 1878. The design was based on George Mansfield’s standard Bank of New South Wales design.
When a new Bank of New South Wales was erected on the corner of Kent and Bazaar Streets in 1956, the building was sold and was occupied by the Postmaster-General’s Department.
By 1981, the Queensland Government used the building as the regional office of the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Since 1995 it has been used as a local history research centre. The Heritage Centre is now home to the Maryborough Family Heritage Institute (downstairs) and the Maryborough District Family History Society (upstairs). Both organisations are active in researching local history, publishing books, and their premises feature interesting and informative displays.
* Please note - Upstairs is open from 10am - 1pm and Downstairs is open between 10am - 3pm.