MARYBOROUGH was in an economically prosperous time in the 1870s and 1880s and the new church reflected this. It cost approximately £6000 and was described at the time as ‘Queensland’s cathedral’ in reference to its size, architecture and prominence.
Designed in the gothic revival style, it has a traditional cruciform plan. An arcade of pointed arches, supported on slender cast-iron columns, separates the nave from the aisles and the finely worked timber roof trusses produce a light and
delicate atmosphere in the church.
The church has a variety of beautiful windows including the large north-western window over the entrance with its delicate stone tracery and colourful leadlights. By 1883, an organ gallery was added to the north-western end of the church (although the organ was moved to its present position in 1891) and the interior contains a Warrior’s Chapel, dedicated in 1960, and the Lady Chapel, dedicated in 1963.
The Belfry In 1887, a large free standing bell tower was erected near the church. The structure with nine bells cost £3500 and was donated by Edgar Thomas Aldridge in memory of his wife, Maria Aldridge who had died the year before. The tower was designed by architect, James Buchanan, built by Jesse Thomas and is of four
storeys with a battlement parapet.
The Hall While half a century separates their dates of construction, the Memorial Hall was designed to harmonise with the church. It was dedicated to the “glory of God and the memory of those who fell in the Great War”, with the foundation stone being laid on 3 August 1920 to coincide with a visit to Maryborough by the Prince of Wales.
Open 10am - 4pm
WHILE YOU ARE HERE:
9am - 4pm. Climb the tower to see the oldest church bells in Queensland. Learn the ancient art of campanology (bellringing). Enclosed shoes must be worn. Ladies trousers or shorts are preferrable to wear.