Explore the magic of Mary Poppins at the birthplace of her author
The heritage-listed bank building standing on the corner of Richmond and Wharf Streets in Maryborough is the birthplace of Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers.
Her father was the manager of the Maryborough branch of the Australian Joint Stock Bank and she was born in the bedroom of the second storey residence.
A bronze statue of Mary Poppins, erected by the Proud Marys Association stands outside the building, alongside Mary Poppins themed traffic lights and street art. These quirky landmarks and the annual Mary Poppins Festival make for special magic moments to share.
Discover the art of Storytelling
In 2019, P.L. Travers' birthplace will be opened as an exciting new interactive Bank of Stories.
As you cross the threshold, you will enter a world where fantasy and fact intertwine: tales and yarns, myths and legends, memories and stories - their retelling and their creation.
- Learn about Maryborough's unique connection with P.L. Travers - the story of her life, her family, her Mary Poppins stories and characters, the influences on her writings and the retelling of her stories.
- Discover the art of storytelling through interactive displays and programming that guide you through the creative process. Meet our local and visiting storytellers as they work, exhibit or perform in-residence.
- Explore the Marys' Room, a delightful study and library to showcase the work of the Proud Marys Association - including stories of famous Marys through the ages and rare and personal letters,writings and research relating to P.L. Travers
- Continue the creative inspiration and join in the annual program of workshops and activities including the annual Mary Poppins Festival in the Queensland winter holidays.
- Purchase a unique gift in the retail cottage.
Artisans of Storytelling
Maryborough is a town steeped in history. Our heritage streetscapes and original wharf precinct practically hum with the stories that they hold!
We pride ourselves as artisans of storytelling - sharing our stories through art and finding innovative and creative ways to keep them alive.
They connect us to our place and inspire us to dream of our future.
A bank that stores the stories of our community - both old and new.
Withdraw a story to learn more about our history and culture - or deposit new ones of your own to share your magical Maryborough moment.
Follow our story as the next chapter unfolds in 2019...
Corner Kent and Richmond Streets
07 4190 5722
Maryborough, Queensland 4650